Thursday, February 26, 2009

Missionary Week

So this past week I have been promising to be a better poster & look at me. I'm already slacking again! I really am sorry. This time I have a very good and logical reason.
In seminary they have Missionary Week. Little did I know that it was more than wearing church clothes to school everyday. We had to be up by 6 AM every morning. We had to say prayers morning & night. We had to read scriptures for 30 minutes on our own! We weren't allowed to watch tv or look at any screen (computer, gameboy, etc.). We had to listen to church music or no muscic at all. NO EXCEPTIONS! You think Taylor Swift would be okay? No, church hymns only. We had to stay arms distance away from anyone of the opposite gender except our parents. High fives & shaking hands was okay. Hugging was forbidden! Also, we were not allowed to call or text anyone of the opposite gender, except our parents. I didn't realize how many more of my friends were guys instead of girls! It was so hard to not text my friends & ask them how they were. I totally was missing them alot. We had to be in bed by 10:30. We had to make our own meal & wash our own clothes.
You got to understand that cooking is the biggest challenge for me in life. If it requires and oven, its out of the question! I cannot make cookies without burning them! The dough, I can do. I can only make pasta and anything microwavable. I mean, if its some simple steamed vegetables, I cannot! I am thee worst cook on this planet! Once, I tried making rice crispies and SOMEHOW, they came out completely black! I dont even know how I did that! The meal part was definitely a HUGE challenge for me.
Along with all of those things, we had to bear our testimony to a non-member. We had to give a Book of Mormon to a non-member. We had to have a church discussion with a non-member and it couldn't happen at school! If you did that, you wouldn't get it counted onto your tally sheet. Proselyting at school is the biggest no-no! Our school wouldn't even let us wear church clothes like they let the kids last year. They said we were trying to force our religion on to people so we couldn't do it any longer. They also said we were mixing school & religion which we aren't allowed to do.
I managed to do most of these things and it turned out to be the most spiritual expierence I've had since EFY. I totally loved every minute. I listened to my favorite church song, 'The Olive Tree' every night and had tears rolling down my face. It was extremley humbling! I felt my grandpa with me every step of the way. I really miss him sometimes.
I am so greatful we have missionaries in our world. They do so much for the ones who can't. I am so greatful my grandpa & grandma Funk got to go on a mission together before my grandpa passed because that must've been amazing! I am definitely looking forward to serving a mission with my husband once I get older in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I have a testimony of this church and I love it very much!
love love,
A

No comments: