Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

So my Mom always talks about how she could never keep up with her own blog, yet she totally reads every other blog known to man. Everyone who has one agrees that its one of the easiest ways to keep in touch with families who are long distances away from each other. Anyways, today is Mother's Day! Yesterday was one of the happiest days I've ever had...I got to do a triathlon with my mom! This wasn't my first triathlon, but it was my first triathlon that wasn't adjusted to my age-it was for anyone. It was a sprint triathlon. My mom & I did the buddy wave. You getta be with someone (usually a coach) the whole way.
This meant me watching my mom's bubbles as she kicked underwater for 800m, her helping me out of the water & helping me unzip my wet suit, her telling me to drink more water as we road along the highway for 13 miles, her handing me electrolyte pills so i wouldn't get dehydrated, running along side her as we completed 3.1 mile run, learning the true definition of 'road kill', and beating her the last 50m of the run.
I love endurance sports. Being able to complete a triathlon right side my mom couldn't have been a better day. Our goal was under 2 hours. Sure enough-we did it. We came in with a time of 1 hour, 52 minutes, & 21 seconds. I was so proud that I, at 15, beat the other 35 people in my wave.
I couldn't have pictured doing it with anyone other than my mom. She's the greatest & best coach I've ever had. I am looking forward to doing more races like that with her!
I just want to let my mother know that I love her more than words can describe. She's the one coach who hasn't ever given up on me. I know for a fact that she won't ever let me run alone through this long race I have to complete through life. She sets a great example for me-like way more than anyone knows. I couldn't picture having any other mom & it doesn't matter because I never want one. Thank you mom for teaching me how to be strong & push through at the very end. I hope we can keep our racing streak up! I love you & Happy Mother's Day!
Abbs

No comments: