Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Running.

people ask me why, out of every sport my high school has to offer, would i choose cross country? i don't choose it because i love the feeling of running. i don't choose it because getting up early in the morning isn't hard for me. i don't choose it because it's the least contact sport out there. i choose it for every other reason.
when i get to practice at 4:45 in the morning, i can't be mad at a single person there. i can't be mad at anyone outside of practice either. i can't be mad at anything whenever i see my teammates and coach. no matter how early, or how hot, or how tired i may be, i cannot stay mad around those people. when i see them, the weight of the world leaves me. they are the one group of people who makes my body cancel out every bit of negativity in me.
i run cross country because of the way it makes me feel before and after. pushing my body to its breaking point practically every day is not what i look forward to. but it makes me a stronger individual; mentally and physically.
when people say running is the most mental sport out there, they aren't kidding. you are in complete control of everything that happens out on that pavement. you can choose to stop and walk, or you can choose to keep running and pushing yourself a little harder and farther each day. you're either going to make it or break it out there. there is no in-between.
"i run because it's my passion, not just a sport. every time i walk out the door, i know why i'm going, where i'm going, and i'm already focusing in on that special place where i can find my peace and solitude."
{A}

No comments: